This page contains the normal transfers that are given for students coming to ISU for CS. The information is given for the most common schools that students transfer from. Note that undergraduate courses require a C or higher to transfer while graduate courses require a B or higher.
Other schools For schools other than those listed here, the CS program director will need to evalute the courses to determine what makes sense. You can start the process by sending the following to the CS program director by email: transcripts (must include course numbers and names, unofficial transcript is fine), link to the CS major at the school (or whichever major you were, so we can see how the courses fit into the major). The CS program director will make a recommendation to the dean's office on how the courses will transfer, and this will be officially approved once you have completed an application to ISU and have had your official transcripts sent.
The normal criterion for granting transfer credit are -
(a) course has similar content as ISU course, (b) course plays a similar role in
the CS major at the other university. Examples of courses that would NOT
transfer - (i) A course with title Operating Systems but that focuses on
|Ivy Tech Course||Transfers as ISU Course|
|CSCI 101 Computer Science I||CS 151 Intro to Programming|
|CSCI 102 Computer Science II||CS 201 Computer Science I|
|CSCI 105 Discrete Logic for Computers||CS 303 (Ivy Tech course only covers half of 303)|
|CSCI 202 Computer Science III||CS 202 Computer Science II|
|CSCI 210 Database Systems||CS 457 Database Processing|
|SDEV 120 Computing Logic||CS 001|
|SDEV 140 Intro to Software Development||CS 001|
|SDEV 153 Web Site Development||CS 001|
|SDEV 200 Java||CS 220 Java Programming|
|SDEV 210 Visual Basic||CS 256 Structured Design|
|SDEV 220 Python||CS 260 Object-Oriented Programming or CS 001|
|SDEV 230 C++||CS 260 Object-Oriented Programming or CS 001|
|SDEV 240 C#||CS 260 Object-Oriented Programming or CS 001|
|SDEV 250 Client-side scripting||CS 170 Web Programming|
The following is how the older CINS courses that used to be used were transferred.
- Ivy Tech CINS 101 or 102 -> ISU CS 101
- Ivy Tech CINS 121/129/135/136/137 -> ISU CS 256
- Ivy Tech CINS 221 -> ISU CS 151
- Ivy Tech CINS 229/233/237 -> ISU CS 260
- Ivy Tech CINS 236 -> ISU CS 220
- Ivy Tech CINS 257 or 258 -> ISU CS 170
- Other Ivy Tech courses do not have ISU CS equivalents and transfer as CS 001
- Because ISU CS 151, 201, 202 are the foundation of the CS major, we are conservative in granting transfer credit for these courses. A student earning an A in Ivy Tech CINS 121 can be given credit for ISU CS 151. A student earning an A in Ivy Tech CINS 221 can be given credit for ISU CS 201.