- Tutorials / references:
- Unix tutorial: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix/
- Blockly games https://blockly-games.appspot.com/
The following videos demonstrate how to setup your Linux KDE desktop environment and/or your windows system to interact with the CS server:
The following videos are provided by Dr. Kinne. Direct link to playlist: YouTube
Logging into the CS server
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulv2ZcbBRBY&list=PLXFP6J47Bp0fe6g5rQV0ka-AKDLdVvZ56&index=2
- Programs: putty for Windows, terminal and ssh for Mac, ssh for Linux
- Self check: Did you get a username and password for your course? Make sure you can connect from your home computer.
Using the linux shell
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOLzS2qgIA&index=3&list=PLXFP6J47Bp0fe6g5rQV0ka-AKDLdVvZ56
- Commands: pwd, ls, cd, cp, mv, mkdir, rmdir, ls
- Self check: Login, and create a directory in your account called "handin".
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASSHmz8FiM&index=4&list=PLXFP6J47Bp0fe6g5rQV0ka-AKDLdVvZ56
- Programs: FileZilla, or WinSCP, or sftp
- Self check: Create a file called "hello.txt" on your home computer and then use FileZilla (or one of the other programs) to transfer it to the handin directory in your CS account.
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFwJWqjiM0&index=5&list=PLXFP6J47Bp0fe6g5rQV0ka-AKDLdVvZ56
- Commands: more with spacebar, or less with arrows and q, or pico, or emacs, or vim
- Self check: Log in to the CS server (using putty or terminal/ssh), cd into the handin directory in your account, and create a text file called name.txt that has your full name. Make sure the file is saved before you exit the text editor, and check it with the more or less program.
Using the linux shell 2
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93RI9nzp8TM&list=PLXFP6J47Bp0fe6g5rQV0ka-AKDLdVvZ56&index=6
- Commands: ps, top with q, man, hostname, whoami, finger, clear, grep, wc, tail, head, bc
- Short cuts: ., .., ~, TAB
- Redirects: <, >
- Pipes: |
- Self check: TBD