- All training levels have rolling start dates throughout all parts of the calendar year.
- Lettered, with different domains having a different number of levels.
- Each "level" is designed to be around 50 hours of work (depending on your background and how quickly you pick it up).
- Each level assumes completion of the previously levels (most levels build on previous levels).
- Python programming
- Level A - first 4 chapters of Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (basics, conditionals, loops, functions, lists) at a level covered in CS 101 Fundamentals of Computing
- Level B - chapters 5, 6, 9, (dictionaries, tuples, strings, files) and selections of others at a level covered in CS 151 Introduction to Computer Science
- Level C - object-oriented programming and additional topics at a level covered in CS 201 Programming Structures
- Levels A-C collectively are comparable to the python portion of CS 401/501 Programming for Data Science
- C programming
- Levels A, B, C - comparable to the corresponding levels for python programming
- Levels A-C collectively are comparable to the C portion of CS 500 Programming Fundamentals.
- Data structures
- Level A - basics, arrays, linked lists, stacks, queues
- Level B - binary search tree, heap, hash table
- Level A - algorithms basics, searching and sorting
- Level B - graphs, breadth-first / depth-first search, shortest path
- Levels TBD
- Levels TBD
- Borrow heavily from materials, readings, videos from the courses we are running.
- As much as possible use existing resources. The value of the training is in providing the framework, evaluation, and a guide.
- Auto-graded quizes, quiz questions regularly updated/changed.
- Auto-graded program output, programs regularly updated/changed.
- Final interview.
- The result of the evaluation is one of the following: did not pass, pass-, pass, pass+.
- Pdf "certificates" are issued with the result of the evaluation, explanation of what the evaluation means.
What is Included in the Price
- Access to training materials, training assignments/quizzes, auto-graded quizzes, auto-graded program output.
- 2 chances at the final interview (required for officially completing/passing the training).
- For US residents only - help/assistance through Teams.
- Fee per training level is $50.
- Those who have paid an application fee to attend ISU get one training level free, or multiple training levels discounted.
- Currently enrolled ISU students also get a discount on the fee.
- One Microsoft Team for content and communication.
- Separate Microsoft Team for help/assistance (US residents only).
- Auto-graded quiz questions hosted securely off of the CS server.
- Final evaluation over video/screen-sharing meeting.
- CS faculty member runs the training programs with assistance from CS GA.
- Registration/payment through Center for Community Engagement (Aceware Student Registration system).
- Breakdown of where fees go is TBD.
- MS Admissions interview - pass rating in each of - Python levels A-B or C levels A-B, Data structures levels A-B, Algorithms level A.
- CS 151 -
- CS 201 -
- CS 202 -
- CS 500 - pass+ rating in each of - C levels A-B, Data structures levels A-B,
- CS 501 -
Admission to MS in Computer Science
- Persons who complete the appropriate training levels should be able to pass the department's admissions interview for the MS in computer science. This is not a guarantee, but these training levels are specifically designed to prepare to pass the admissions interview.
- Those who complete the appropriate package can use their completion of the training program to apply for Prior Learning Assessment for the given course.
- This is for enrolled students only (so after being admitted), students are charged 25% of the tuition of the course for an evaluation, and the evaluation can include an additional "challenge exam". The challenge exam would be selections from the final interview from the training levels that were completed by the student.
- More details on the process are at https://www.indstate.edu/services/testing/departmental-examsassessment-prior-learning